“Get Smart Across America”
Community in Crisis Response Plan
December 2, 2011, 7 year old Jorelys Rivera (Canton, Georgia) was abducted at her apartment complex after leaving the playground to go get drinks for her friends. Jorelys’ body was discovered 3 days later at the apartment complex in the industrial size trash compactor. Jorelys had been sexually assaulted, beaten, stabbed and murdered.
Robert Brunn was arrested for her abduction and murder and pleaded guilty receiving life in prison. Robert Brunn committed suicide in prison.
The Canton and Cherokee County Community (metro Atlanta area) is in crisis and children and parents need hope and safety education.
“Get Smart Across America” Community in Crisis Response:
Elizabeth Smart, on behalf of Good Morning America and The Elizabeth Smart Foundation will bring a message of hope and deliver a proactive community response to the tragedy by providing:
1. Quick response- train children in the community in radKIDS personal safety education and provide a community safety seminar
- A Canton-Cherokee radKIDS class for 20 children and families in the community March 12-16, 2012
- Canton area radKIDS instructors along with Steve Daley, Director of radKIDS, will provide children with the tools and skills needed to respond, resist and escape if necessary from a dangerous situation.
- A Community Safety Seminar, March 14, 2012 to bring the message of hope and understanding of the radKIDS personal empowerment safety education program.
- The Canton-Cherokee community will be invited to attend the free seminar. Local radio shows and local media will help spread the news.
- The Cherokee Public School System teachers and leaders will be invited.
- Media Awareness and coverage will be generated.
- Elizabeth Smart will participate in The Keep Georgia Safe fundraiser, The Big Wheel Rally, to help raise funds for radKIDS instructor training.
2. Long term response- implement the radKIDS program into schools.